John A. Andrew Hospital
In 1913 Dr. John A. Kenney and Booker T. Washington founded the John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital, the first full service hospital for African Americans at Tuskegee Institute.
Dr. John A. Kenney implemented Better Health Parades to educate the community on the importance of good health and hygiene.
John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital inpatients.
John A. Kenney M.D.
John A. Kenney,M.D. 1874-1950
Hospital Grounds Dedication
Booker T. Washington and John A. Kenney dedicating site for the John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital. Tuskegee students in attendance.
The1909 NMA Journal staff
Dr. John A. Kenney founded the Journal of the National Medical Association in 1909. Pictured is the editorial staff of the NMA Journal. Seated is Dr. C.V. Roman, the first editor.
John and Freida Kenney
Both were invited by Booker T. Washington to join the staff at Tuskegee Institute.
John A. Andrew Medical Clinics
National clinics held annually at Tuskegee to foster continuing medical education for NMA physicians
Dr. John A. Kenney founded the School of Nursing at Tuskegee Institute.
Nurses tending the Hospital garden
Dr. Kenney and George Washington Carver instructed the nurses in horticulture and self sufficiency.
Kenney Memorial Hospital
Dr. Kenney founded the first hospital for African Americans in Newark, N.J. in 1927.
The Community Hospital Staff
The Kenney Memorial Hospital became The Community Hospital in 1935.